FreeBSD 9.2 - problem with quotas

Hans Middelhoek hans at middelhoek.nl
Wed Oct 23 09:54:25 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Hans Middelhoek <hans at middelhoek.nl> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> We upgraded 2 servers to FreeBSD 9.2, one 32-bit and the other 64-bit.
> Both have problems with quotas now, we didn't change the config.
>

> Below is what happens on the 32-bit system:
>
> root at 32bitserver:~ # cat /etc/fstab
>
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
> Pass#
>
> /dev/da0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
>
> /dev/da0s1a             /               ufs     rw,userquota,groupquota 1
> 1
>
> /dev/da0s1h             /backup        ufs     rw,noauto,noatime       2
> 2
>
> /dev/da0s1g             /home           ufs
> rw,nosuid,userquota,groupquota  2       2
>
> /dev/da0s1d             /tmp            ufs     rw,noexec,nosuid        2
> 2
>
> /dev/da0s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
>
> /dev/da0s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
>
> /dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
>
> proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
>

> root at 32bitserver:~ # mount
>
> /dev/da0s1a on / (ufs, local, with quotas)
>
> devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
>
> /dev/da0s1g on /home (ufs, local, nosuid, with quotas, soft-updates)
>
> /dev/da0s1d on /tmp (ufs, local, noexec, nosuid, soft-updates)
>
> /dev/da0s1f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>
> /dev/da0s1e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>
> procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
>

> root at 32bitserver:~ # /usr/sbin/quotaoff -a
>
> root at 32bitserver:~ # /usr/sbin/quotaon -a
>
> quotaon: using  on /backup: No such file or directory
>
> quotaon: using  on /backup: No such file or directory

You don't have a problem with quota's.  You have problem with mount.  Check
your output.

--
Adam Vande More

I don't understand what you mean by having a problem with mount. I checked
my output multiple times but don't see what you mean.
/backup is unmounted, but that's correct, this partition is only mounted
during the backup process, quota's aren't enabled fort his partition. This
is for 32bitserver.

For 64bitserver it's a little different, there the problem resides on the /
partition. That partition is always mounted offcourse :-) But a quotaoff
gives device busy for /. In earlier versions of FreeBSD we didn't have these
'problem'.