FreeBSD, Centos and ZFS - SOLVED

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Oct 23 03:49:06 UTC 2013

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013, aurfalien wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2013, at 6:59 PM, Warren Block wrote:

>>> OMG, what a relief... the ~30% diff in performance was due to a BIOS setting, in particular this one;
>>>
>>> Intel Turbo Boost Technology
>>> Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Tech
>>>
>>> I disabled both.
>>
>> Enable them both and also enable powerd on FreeBSD in /etc/rc.conf so it can take advantage of the first.
>>
>>> In fact, FreeBSD is showing a tad better now then CentOS.  I have files if any one is interested in viewing.
>>
>> With Turbo mode on, it may go even faster.
>
> Thats interesting, I will and report back.
>
> Since this will be a rather heavily utilized NFS server (perhaps CIFS later), how do I ensure powerd doesn't lullaby the server to sleep or at least slow it down during mellow periods?

There's the hiadaptive profile, and the polling interval (-p) can be
reduced from the default of 250ms.  50ms made my desktop a lot more
responsive.  I also have some patches for a "hyper" mode that only uses
the fastest and slowest speeds, no slewing.  Mailing list thread here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-acpi/2013-July/008238.html

To date, I have not really found out whether the hyper mode is truly
better in terms of speed versus power.