FreeBSD, Centos and ZFS - SOLVED

aurfalien aurfalien at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 23:40:36 UTC 2013

On Oct 20, 2013, at 9:04 AM, Mark Felder wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013, at 14:31, aurfalien wrote:
>>
>> ZoL comes with a little interesting feature; arc2 compression, which does
>> seem to enhance performance all around.  I disabled this in CentOS to
>> level the playing field.
>>

> FreeBSD 10 also has L2ARC compression
>
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=251478

OMG, what a relief... the ~30% diff in performance was due to a BIOS setting, in particular this one;

Intel Turbo Boost Technology
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Tech

I disabled both.

In fact, FreeBSD is showing a tad better now then CentOS.  I have files if any one is interested in viewing.

Thanks to all for the rather overwhelming response :)

Actually it was good that hardly any one did as it forced me to debug the old fashioned way :)

- aurf