UPS buying suggestion

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Oct 18 14:28:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013, yudi v wrote:

> ok got  APC Smart-UPS SC 420VA
> 230V<http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SC420I&total_watts=50&tab=models>
> for
> really cheap but this one only has a serial connection, and my server does
> not have a serial port.
>
> I  am thinking of getting a SUNIX SUN-UTS1009B UTS1009B USB to Port Serial
> RS-232 Adapter <http://greenboxit.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=61491> >
> did some research but not sure if this will work.
>
> Or I can get a PCI card with a serial port.
>
> Any suggestions.

It's the chipset that's important, and the PL2303 works on FreeBSD.
cable with the adapter integrated into the connectors is easier to use,
and the price seems a bit high.

If you can find it, the FTDI chipset is better.  PCI serial cards should
work also, although I can't recall trying any with FreeBSD.

Before all that, check to see if there is a serial header on the
motherboard.  Then all you need is a standard DB9 to IDC cable, and any
computer place should have a box full of those.