UPS buying suggestion

Erich Dollansky erich at alogt.com
Thu Oct 17 01:23:37 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:44:52 -1000
Al Plant <noc at hdk5.net> wrote:

> Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 12:35:32 +1000
> > yudi v <yudi.tux at gmail.com> wrote:

Aloha,

> I have 4 battery backups that I think are the older big brother of
> the one that Eric is using. APC 900. I have replaced the batteries
> with external Stationary Batteries. (Look like truck batteries, but
> have small bolt on connections for backup systems.) I have them
> hooked up in a cage beside the backups  in my shed. I have used the
> backups for up to 10 hours of uptime as a test.

how long does it take to recharge the battery?

> Here in Hawaii on Oahu island where I live, power outages are common.

The moment the name of an island sound so good that you want to live on
it, they have problems with electricity. I am currently in Bali which
is not so bad but Jawa is real bad if you do not live near the power
station.

> Many people have installed solar now since a car hitting an electric
> pole is almost a daily problem. As is a contractor digging and
> breaking cables. Corroded fuses blowing on power line transformers
> are also a major problem on any Pacific island. One of my clients
> went down for 7 hours during the busy time last week for business.
> They do have backup for gracefully shutting down computers that lasts
> about 30 minutes, so they can get the customers cashed out with their
> purchases,

What are 7h down-time? Just a coffee break. It happens in Jawa very
often. Diesel generators are a good investment there.

Erich