UPS buying suggestion

Erich Dollansky erich at alogt.com
Tue Oct 15 12:07:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 12:09:15 +0100
Frank Leonhardt <frank2 at fjl.co.uk> wrote:

> On 15/10/2013 06:07, yudi v wrote:
> > I am planning on buying an UPS to protect my HP microserver
> > n40l<http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/HP_MicroServer_N40L_Wiki>,
> > it will be running FreeBSD 9.2 RELEASE.
>
> I've been watching this thread with a bit of interest. For what it's

this is good to hear.

> As to the "compatibility", I do the myself. All I want it to do is
> shut down gracefully if the power fails - nothing more. And this is
> how I do it:
>
> All servers are, by definition, connected to the network. They can
> ping equipment nearby (just do it from a shell script). If they ping

this is real cool. You can then also control when to shutdown. This is
the problem I have here. I will not shutdown for a few minutes of no
power.

> As to the "run time", there are lies, damn lies ans statistics. I
> once tested a load of them for an article in PC Magazine and took

Did you get always new devices or the devices these companies ship from
magazine to magazine?

Batteries age also by the number of charge-discharge cycles.

> - if it's weedy it will overheat/burn out, but that takes time. You
> pay more for sustained higher output currents, but may very well not
> need them. As to the run-time, that's always down to the battery
> capacity. Buy a new one every two years; don't wait for the load test
> to fail.

I only realise just now that my Ablerex has a much higher number of
charge-discharge cycles then my APC. This could have aged it behind my
expectations. I must check what kind of batteries are actually in there.

Erich