UPS buying suggestion

Erich Dollansky erich at alogt.com
Tue Oct 15 06:45:49 UTC 2013

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 15:07:48 +1000
yudi v <yudi.tux at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am planning on buying an UPS to protect my HP microserver
> n40l<http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/HP_MicroServer_N40L_Wiki>,
> it will be running FreeBSD 9.2 RELEASE.
>
> I am looking at
> APC Power-Saving Back-UPS ES 8 Outlet 700VA 230V AS
> 3112<http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE700G%2DAZ&total_watts=400>
>
> is that supported by apcupsd? (already tried apcupsd mailing list,
> there was no response, hence asking here)
>  If not, please recommend one that is supported.
>
> The HP server has a 150W PSU and the UPS is rated at 400Watts, and it
> comes with USB monitoring support.

yes, but it does not tell you how long the UPS will be able to support
the 400W. It sounds to me that

> Also, how to measure exact power consumption by a device?

As you need the current anyway, I would use an ampere meter to
determine the exact current drawn. I got already some surprises there.

I would sugggest an UPS above 1000VA. I have currently this in use:

http://www.ablerex.com.sg/sm_business.html#1500l

I also have an APC in use:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BX1100CI&total_watts=200

I would say that the Ablerex beats the APS in all aspects but battery
quality. The advantage of the Ablerex is that you can use
off-the-shelve batteries.

My wife runs her hair dryer regularon the Ablerex for some weird
reasons. The hair dryer is rated 10A. The APC starts to panic and shuts
down without the circuit breaker dropping.

My APC is very sensitive. When the local power supply has a bad day,
it can happen that it switches several time a minute to batteries.

One other aspect might be the noise. The APC runs me crazy even if I
have to be in the room very shortly.

Can you go into a shop and see/hear the UPS in action?

Erich