Advice sought on Portmaster -Faf and deleted ports

Scott Ballantyne sdb at ssr.com
Mon Oct 14 18:25:00 UTC 2013

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm following the recipe at the end of man portmaster for deleting and
> > reinstalling all my ports, which I have done many times in the
> > past. This time, I am getting errors on the portmaster -Faf step
> > involving deleted ports, and I'm not sure how to deal with this
> > easily.
>
> What errors, exactly?

Well, for example:

portmaster -Faf
it starts to fetch a bunch of files
it finds a port which has been deleted, such as
linux-base-fc4
and it says, "linux-base-fc4" has been deleted.
terminating
terminating
terminating
etc.

> > So, I am seeking expert advice here. Is there a way to automate this
> > and keep myself out of trouble, or do I need to do a 'port-by-port'
> > upgrade of each port?
>
> It should "just work".  Have you converted to pkgng?

I dream of the day that the ports system will "just work". I don't use
binary packages, are you saying that pkgng will deal with this issue
automatically?

Thanks,
Scott