Is it possible to suspend to disk with geli+Root on ZFS installation

yudi v yudi.tux at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 03:17:23 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 2:47 AM, Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au> wrote:
> In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 486, Issue 7, Message: 5
> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 16:25:33 +0200 Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>  > On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 05:37:55PM +1000, yudi v wrote:
>  > > Hi all,
>  > >
>  > > Is it possible to suspend to disk (hibernate) when using geli for
full disk
>  > > encryption.
>  >
>  > As far as I can tell, FreeBSD doesn't support suspend to disk on all
>  > architectures. On amd64 the necessary infrastructure doesn't exist,
and on
>  > i386 FPU state is lost, there is no multiprocessor support and some
MSRs are
>  > not restored [1].
>  >
>  > [1]: https://wiki.freebsd.org/SuspendResume
>
> Roland, sorry, no; you (and that page) are talking about Suspend to RAM,
> ACPI state S3.  What you've said is correct re Suspend to RAM - though
> some running amd64 have achieved some success on some machines lately;
> most of the issues are with restoring modern video, backlight and such.
>
> Those i386 comments don't apply to my Thinkpad T23s, which suspend and
> resume, in console mode and X, flawlessly on 9.1-R and properly after
> various tweaks on 8.x, 7.x and 6.x - but they're a single core P3-M ..
>
> I must reiterate, FreeBSD does not support Suspend to Disk (state S4 aka
> 'hibernate') on ANY platform, except - perhaps - on machines supporting
> S4 in BIOS (hw.acpi.s4bios=1) which are very rarely spotted in the wild.
>
>  > And even suspend to RAM doesn't work on every machine [2].
>  >
>  > [2]: https://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage#Suspend_to_disk
>
> That page IS about Suspend to Disk - but only as a wishlist idea, as it
> has been for many years.  Someone did take it on as a Google SoC project
> years ago, but nothing ever came of it to my knowledge.
>
> The last laptop I have that will properly hibernate - ie save RAM and
> all state to disk and power off, then reload all RAM and state on power
> return - is a 300MHz Compaq Armada 1500C (mfg '98), but using the older
> APM BIOS rather than ACPI.  (It's still running, 24/7/365 since 2002 :)
>
> cheers, Ian

Thanks Ian for clarifying that FreeBSD does not support Suspend to Disk. I
just assumed all major distros supported all the suspend states. Now I am
looking for a UPS that cleanly shuts down the machine when there is a power
outage.
I am looking at a APC Power-Saving Back-UPS ES 8 Outlet 700VA 230V AS
3112<http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE700G-AZ&total_watts=200&tab=features>,
anyone know if apcupsd daemon works fine under FreeBSD or should I be
looking at Network UPS Tools (NUT).

--
Kind regards,
Yudi