what kind of freeBSD to download for my pc?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Oct 13 02:46:40 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-10-12 at 16:50 -0700, cikitaluzza wrote:
> can i run exe files on freeBSD?

The raw answer is, no, you can't.

> it spoils fast or not?this question comes from fastest ever spoil OS
> windows which always spoil in a week seven times i think with things
> like errors or dll and many things from blue screen.

This doesn't sound like a Windows only error.

> do you have any problems within freeBSD or no problems?i dont like
> blue screen error or driver things and no matter what .

Regarding to driver issues you better stay with Microsoft or switch to
Apple. Hardware and free/libre and open source software requires the
user to learn and take care if hardware is supported.

> how much total ram and bit is my pc of amd athlon(tm) 64 x2 dual core
> processor 4000+ 2.11 GHz 960 MB RAM?

Around 1 GiB could be ok, but also be not enough RAM, but it seems not
to be an issue.

> im always in internet watching live camers,what do you suggest me to
> use os type?i like to save pictures and videos

Free/libre and open source software does less good support proprietary
codecs and software. At the moment there is a thread about Adobe Flash
on this list. The best choice could be Windows, perhaps installed as
guest to a virtual machine, so that you always can restore it by using
snapshots.

>  and never lost them,if you think your os is gonna spoil and lost my
> all files then i dont need it.i want stable os and never to reinstall
> or update

For multimedia Linux might be better than FreeBSD. Neither Linux, nor
FreeBSD tend to lose data, you even shouldn't lose data when using one
of Microsoft's less good Windows versions. It's more likely that users
have less good backup and archiving strategies.

If you want to consume multimedia by the Internet, you likely need to
install security updates and software to use stuff based on proprietary
software. You could set up a text editor and never need to update or to
reinstall something, but the Internet and consuming multimedia likely
need updates from time to time.

Start an adventure ;), nobody will give you a guarantee,
"self-responsibility" is a catchword for free/libre and open source
software.

FreeBSD and Linux are similar operating systems, on both kernels more or
less the same multimedia applications do run, but the more recent
versions are provided by Linux and multimedia is better supported for
Linux.

I'm an Arch Linux user, it's similar to FreeBSD regarding to a port like
system, however, for your needs IMO Debian Linux stable release might be
the less risky choice. OTOH, why not simply testing FreeBSD?