freebsd-update upgrade -r 7.4-RELEASE-p12

Mike Brown mike at skew.org
Thu Oct 10 04:37:34 UTC 2013

Eduardo Morras wrote:
> [...] uname -a should give the correct answer. Has uname other utility than
> show information about the operating system implementation? No, and it must
> be accurate.

That's what I thought, but when I asked about it here last year, I was told
that this is the way things are; our expectations of uname are at fault.

I believe if he were to compile his own kernel, it would say -p12.

Suggestions were made for how to deal with it, but I don't know if they
were ever followed up on. They wouldn't affect 7.x in any case.

Start reading the thread here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2012-May/240666.html