failed to create gmirror with the handbook instructions

Andy Zammy andyzammy at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 8 18:49:34 UTC 2013

This is actually trickier than it first looked. First I got into single
user mode by supplying 'shutdown now', but the tunefs commands all failed
with the following:
#tunefs -j disable /dev/ada0s1a
Clearing journal flags from inode 4
tunefs: Failed to write journal inode: Operation not permitted
tunefs: soft updates journalling cleared but soft updates still set.
tunefs: remove .sujournal to reclaim space
tunefs: /dev/ada0s1a: failed to write superblock

I tried the dump command on the off-chance, and it failed with the original
errors. Is there anything you can recommend?

I then noticed you specified to boot into single user more, so I restarted
the machine, with only ada0 attached. Because the handbook wants me to use
the mirror/gm0sX devices, I swapped my fstab file back to the original. The
boot loader now only seems to recognise the mirror/gm0 nodes, the original
ada0sX are gone (though ada0 still shows up). I'm not sure if it's
acceptable to do the dump by booting the 1st hard drive using the
mirror/gm0, and then dump to the 2nd hard drive by mounting what will be
ada1sX. Is this okay to do?