munin related

Mark Felder feld at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 8 12:49:31 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 1:15, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 19:57+0200, Laszlo Danielisz wrote:
>
> > Yep killing nscd help me to get out of this trouble.
>
> I have long suspected nscd to reinitialise the timers whenever an
> entry is requested while still held in the cache, be it a positive or
> a negative result.
>
> As such the only reasonable solution is to never cache negative
> results (TTL=0) and keep the positive TTL relatively short, say no
> more than 60 minutes.
>
> Can someone more knowledgeable on nscd internals confirm my suspicion?

I'm not that guy, but I do remember watching this closely on the mailing
lists a while back. I can't deploy nscd because of negative cache issues
and I don't think this patch in this thread was ever committed. I
haven't had time to investigate, though.

http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/PATCH-Fix-for-negative-cacheing-problem-in-NSCD-td5722843.html