9.1 - 9.2 upgrade

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Fri Oct 4 06:36:07 UTC 2013

On 3 October 2013, at 11:48, Doug Hardie <bc979 at lafn.org> wrote:

> On 3 October 2013, at 10:49, Doug Hardie <bc979 at lafn.org> wrote:
>
>> I just did an upgrade using freebsd-update to 9.2.  This system uses a custom kernel so I am rebuilding everything after the update completed.  However, I noticed that /usr/src/UPDATING has not been updated.  The first entry still says:  9.1-RELEASE.  Is this correct?
>
> Well, it just got worse - The last reboot now fails:  I am using a remote console and it shows:
>
> --> Press a key on the console to reboot <--
> Rebooting...
> Consoles: internal video/keyboard  serial port
> BIOS drive A: is disk0
> BIOS drive C: is disk1
> BIOS 639kB/2087360kB available memory
>
> FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
> (doug at zool.lafn.org, Thu Oct  3 04:23:13 PDT 2013)
> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
> Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
>
> panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0x7f481ed0 from /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/../../common/module.c:1004
> --> Press a key on the console to reboot <--
>

> I can enter a string as it doesn't try to reboot again till the return is entered.  I've tried b disk1, but it still only tries disk0.  The system rebooted fine after the reboot after make kernel.  Mergemaster didn't seem to affect anything dealing with boot.  Don't know what make delete-old does but the descriptions lead me to not believe it could cause this.  This system is on the other side of LA from me so its a major trip timewise.  Any ideas how this can be recovered remotely?

Booting off the live CD didn't find anything obviously wrong.  I replaced the kernel with the old one and still the same error.  I am having the drive mailed to me and will work with it here.  However, it appears a new install is going to be required.  The old sysinstall had the capability to skip over the formatting of the disk by just entering quit.  It would then just replace the system components and leave everything else alone.  I don't see any obvious way to do the same thing with bsdinstall.  Is there a way to do that.  I don't want to have to completely rebuild the drive, but just replace the system.