9.1 - 9.2 upgrade

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Thu Oct 3 18:48:08 UTC 2013

On 3 October 2013, at 10:49, Doug Hardie <bc979 at lafn.org> wrote:

> I just did an upgrade using freebsd-update to 9.2.  This system uses a custom kernel so I am rebuilding everything after the update completed.  However, I noticed that /usr/src/UPDATING has not been updated.  The first entry still says:  9.1-RELEASE.  Is this correct?

Well, it just got worse - The last reboot now fails:  I am using a remote console and it shows:

--> Press a key on the console to reboot <--
Rebooting...
Consoles: internal video/keyboard  serial port
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1
BIOS 639kB/2087360kB available memory

FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(doug at zool.lafn.org, Thu Oct  3 04:23:13 PDT 2013)
Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:

panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0x7f481ed0 from /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/../../common/module.c:1004
--> Press a key on the console to reboot <--

I can enter a string as it doesn't try to reboot again till the return is entered.  I've tried b disk1, but it still only tries disk0.  The system rebooted fine after the reboot after make kernel.  Mergemaster didn't seem to affect anything dealing with boot.  Don't know what make delete-old does but the descriptions lead me to not believe it could cause this.  This system is on the other side of LA from me so its a major trip timewise.  Any ideas how this can be recovered remotely?