# portmaster -r pixman fails with !#/bin/sh list too long

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 18:28:04 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Lowell Gilbert
<freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I tried your advice with the -R option, it worked, but for only pixman
>> the other ports that depend on it don't get rebuilt :(
>>
>> I try to use -x 'texlive-*' but it does not work :(
>> I get
>>
>> Could not execute shell
>> "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk",  line 1192:  warning "/usr/bin/awk
>> '/^#define[[:blank:]]....FreeBSD_version/ {print $3}
>> </usr/include/sys/param.h" returned non-zero status
>> /usr/local/sbin/portmaster:  rm: Argument list too long
>>
>> and it justs sits there.  Out of 3 machines only 1 is working because
>> I overlooked the pixman update entry in /usr/src/UPDATING :(
>>
>> Please advice me as to how to get the desktop working again on these
>> machines.  I did not want to shoot myself in the foot but I did so :(
>
> Try the '-R' again; it may get a bit farther each time.
>
> You can always recover by removing some of the ports and reinstalling
> them after the remaining ports are updated. You're going to have to
> rebuild a huge number of ports anyway, so this is not very different
> from using portmaster on everything.
>
> Good luck.

Have tried that, but it rebuilds pixman, but then X bombs out blurting
out messages that lib....pixman.so is missing :(

I have tried to remove print/texlive-scheme-full; removed it, but then
run portmaster -R pixman, and portmaster -r pixman and the running of
it stops with message that !#/bin/sh .. argument too long and comes up
with texlive-?????-?????-_1 or similar.  Have not been successful in
fixing this issue.  I have 2 machines working and 2 not working
because of this.  I am running out of ideas.  Is there another way to
fix this issue manually, i.e, going to /usr/ports/x11/pixman and
rebuilding it there or have to go one by one?

Thanks for your advice and suggestions but I am not getting there :(

Best Regards,

Antonio