HP Proliant DL385 G8 - 10GE-card FreeBSD compatible?

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Thu Nov 21 13:24:16 UTC 2013

We have used HP NC%@#SFP and Chelsio N320E 10GBE NICs with FreeBSD 9.1,
but not in HP computers. FreeBSD worked fine with both, and no additional
software or drivers were required. I can't imagine that the motherboard
brand would affect that. The Chelsio carded wouldn't PXE-boot unless we
had a Chelsio brand DAC, which was hard to get (Chelsio didn't keep them
in stock). Once booted, though, it ran fine. We could go 100 million
packets without dropping one.

These cards run too hot to touch unless specially cooled.

Daniel Feenberg