Aggregating 2 dsl circuits.

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Nov 19 22:54:21 UTC 2013

Hi--

On Nov 19, 2013, at 1:30 PM, Al Plant <noc at hdk5.net> wrote:
> Any of the Gurus on our list ever find a clear or have a How To on Aggregating 2 "static circuits" from a Lan to the ISP?  I have read the Handbook offerings and cant find the wording for /etc/rc.conf file to tie the two together.
>
> I get clashes with hostnames and IP's as errors. Separately each works as expected.

If both links are from the same provider, discuss using multilink PPP / PPPoE with them.  Decent ISPs and decent routers will support that readily enough.

If you're talking about DSL links from different providers, that represents an entirely different and more complicated set of problems.  To multihome between different providers, you'd need to obtain an AS # and a sufficiently large routable subnet that folks will carry a global BGP routing entry for it.  That used to be a /20, but I think that's more like a /18 nowadays.  (If that doesn't translate, check with APNIC or whoever your regional registrar is; they've got pricing here: http://www.apnic.net/services/become-a-member/how-much-does-it-cost )

Regards,
--
-Chuck