unbound and ntp in FreeBSD 10 Beta 3

krad kraduk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 09:29:18 UTC 2013

it sounds like we might have a feature drop when we moved to unbound, to
fix this problem when running bind in freebsd you could use the following
variables to stop the rc scripts continuing until the nameserver is up and
running. I have submitted a pr to see if it can get added to the base os to
save any hacks

# grep named /etc/rc.conf
named_enable="YES"
named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"
named_wait="yes"                 # Wait for working name service before
exiting
named_wait_host="localhost"     # Hostname to check if named_wait is enabled
named_enable="YES"

from /etc/rc.d/named

named_poststart () {
        make_symlinks

        if checkyesno named_wait; then
                until ${command%/sbin/named}/bin/host $named_wait_host
>/dev/null 2>&1; do
                        echo "  Waiting for nameserver to resolve
$named_wait_host"
                        sleep 1
                done
        fi