pkgng questions

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Fri Nov 15 19:35:03 UTC 2013

Fellow FreeBSD Fans,

I've been resisting the temptation to switch to pkgngm, mainly waiting for
pngng support to be added to xps.  But, with the announcement of binary
package availability I finally gave pngng a try on a test box.  And, I have
a few questions.

For those who might want to use binary packages only without a local ports
tree, could a copy of the /usr/ports/UPDATING file be included in the data
received when pkgng updates the repository catalog?  If I try to use the pkg
updating command without a ports tree I get a "pkg: Unable to open:
/usr/ports/UPDATING" error.

Speaking of updating the repository catalog, could pkgng be made locale
aware so it can spell catalog correctly?  It keeps telling me it's updating
the repository catalogue, which isn't right for my locale.

Is there any way to display info for an uninstalled package, like the info
pkg info -f shows for installed package?  With that functionality I wouldn't
mind living without xps.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.