unbound and ntp in FreeBSD 10 Beta 3

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Nov 12 21:12:24 UTC 2013

"Gerard Seibert" <jerry at seibercom.net> writes:

> I just did a fresh install of FreeBSD 10 Beta 3 on a clean
> machine. For whatever reason, I am having the following problem.
>
> I added this to the rc.conf file:
>
> local_unbound_enable="YES"
>
> I also have:
>
> ntpd_enable="YES"
>
> in the file.
>
> This is the resolv.conf file:
>
> #Generated by resolvconf
> #nameserver 209.18.47.61
> #nameserver 209.18.47.62
> #nameserver 192.168.1.1
>
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> options edns0
>
> Now, with this configuration, ntpd never resolves any of the addresses
> it needs to work. My screen fills up with error messages. If I

Can any other programs resolve addresses?

> uncomment the three nameserver entries it works fine until the next
> reboot. I had to comment out the unbound line in the rc.conf file to
> prevent it from causing the resolv.conf file from being over written
>
> I obviously have something configured incorrectly. Can anyone help me
> with this? Also, what do the "options" mean? I cannot find any
> documentation on it.

There are options documented in resolv.conf(5), but edns0 isn't one of
them. I believe it is supported by the libraries on some other Unix-ish
systems. Most likely, resolv.conf isn't the source of the problem, and
your version of that file would work fine if unbound were working.

If I'm guessing correctly, unbound is not starting at all. You can test
this easily by enabling unbound and then restarting it. You may get some
informative information printed out or entered into logs at that
time. My guess is that it won't actually start at all, and the
diagnostic messages will tell you why. It will almost certainly be
because you didn't set up unbound.conf properly; very likely you missed
either an "interface" or "forward-zone" setting.

Good luck.