using freebsd-update to revert back to GENERIC config files?

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Tue Nov 12 14:31:45 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Polytropon wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:35:41 +0100, Janos Mohacsi wrote:
>> Is there a clean way to overvwrite these files with the GENERIC during
>> 9.2-RELEASE upgrade?
>
> Don't confuse GENERIC (the name of the configuration file for
> the kernel distributed with FreeBSD releases) with the stock
> configuration files. There is no direct relationship.
>
> You could try to copy the (unmodified, stock) configuration
> files if you have used freebsd-update to get the "src"
> distribution, i. e. the /usr/src tree. Here you will find
> the /usr/src/etc directory from which you could "make install",
> and there's also the /usr/src/etc/mail subdirectory with the
> configuration files that would go to /etc/mail - you can try
> to copy them manually.
Thanks for the hint.
I tried without success:

mohacsi at csoki> pwd
/usr/src/etc/sendmail
mohacsi at csoki> sudo make distribution
install -o root -g wheel -m 644  /usr/src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc
freebsd.cf /etc/mail
install -o root -g wheel -m 444  /usr/src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.submit.mc
freebsd.submit.cf /etc/mail
install -o root -g wheel -m 444
/usr/src/etc/sendmail/../../contrib/sendmail/src/helpfile /etc/mail
install -o root -g wheel -m 640  /dev/null /var/log/sendmail.st
install -o root -g wheel -m 644  freebsd.cf /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
install -o root -g wheel -m 444  freebsd.submit.cf /etc/mail/submit.cf
mohacsi at csoki> sudo freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE from update6.freebsd.org...
done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

The following files are affected by updates, but no changes have
been downloaded because the files have been modified locally:
/etc/mail/freebsd.cf
/etc/mail/freebsd.submit.cf
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf
/etc/mail/submit.cf
/var/db/mergemaster.mtree

> Of course, it's "cleaner" to use mergemaster to deal with
> modified configuration files, such as it is being done around
> a "make installworld" run, but as you said you're using the
> binary update method, the system should forgive my suggestion
> of the unholy blasphemy that arises from manually copying
> files. :-)

What is the source where freebsd-update checking the neccessary changes?
mergemaster.mtree?

Regards,
 		Janos Mohacsi