KDE4 crashed, how to recover?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Nov 12 14:11:27 UTC 2013

Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 05:23:08 -0800 (PST), Unga wrote:
> > [...]
> > Computer hanged, had to force power down from the power button.
> >
> > After that FreeBSD runs well but when try to start KDE, it prints
> > following and immediately reboots:
> >
> > Generating KDM configuration.
> > panic: Bad effnlink fip 0x..., fdp 0x..., tdp 0x....
> > cpuid = 2
> > KDB: stack backtrace:
> > #0 0x... at kdb_backtrace
> > #1 0x... at panic
> > #2 0x... at ufs_rename
> > #3 0x... at VOP_RENAME_APV
> > #4 0x... at kern_renameat
> > #5 0x... at kern_rename
> > #6 0x... at sys_rename
> > #7 0x... at syscall
> > #8 0x... at Xint0x80_syscall
> >
> > How to recover from this issue?
>
> Make sure your file systems have been successfully repaired.
> It's useful to boot into single user mode and perform a fsck
> of all partitions _prior_ to continuing the boot process.
> Note that a background fsck could still be running while you
> try to restart KDE with an underlying inconsistent filesystem.
> To intendedly avoid booting into a possibly dirty filesystem
> environment, put background_fsck="NO" into /etc/rc.conf, but
> note that, depending on the size of your disks, startup time
> will probably increase dramatically. :-)
>
> Still it's hard to imagine how a file system defect could cause
> that immediate kind of kernel panic...

Agreed, not only will background_fsck="NO" have the useful effect Polytropon
writes above, it will also do a more thorough check. To quote man fack:

-B      Run in background mode ....
	Note that background fsck is limited to checking for only the
	most commonly occurring file system abnormalities.  Under certain
	circumstances, some errors can escape background fsck.  It is
	recommended that you perform foreground fsck on your systems
	periodically and whenever you encounter file-system-related pan-
	ics.

If I get a crash or panic, (unless its obviously dodgy IO, eg
overheating, USB etc) I just by reflex give it a full foreground
fsck at least of all system bins & lib [& pref. user data too,
especially of any potential troublesome data mounts involved].

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Interleave replies below like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".