Expand partition size after a raid array increase

Joseph Mays mays at win.net
Mon Nov 11 20:09:18 UTC 2013

I have a freebsd box with an LSI Raid controller in it. It had 4 3-terabyte drives configured in an 8TB array. I added a 5th drive and built that into the array. Of course, the amount of drive space that shows in operation in FreeBSD did not change, presumably because I need to resize the partition.

I was trying to follow the partition resizing instructions shown here ---

http://www.unibia.com/unibianet/freebsd/resize-your-existing-freebsd-root-partitionslice-safely-without-re-installing

but when I do the “gpart show ” I don’t see the free space. What I do see is a change in the apparent overall size of the disk and a set of parititions that don’t add up to the new size of the disk.

How should I be going about increasing the size of the partition?