CUPS and Epson Epson WF-3540 on FreeBSD 9.2/11.0-CURRENT

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Nov 5 23:50:22 UTC 2013

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 22:28:38 +0100
Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 08:58:01PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 10:37:34 -0600
> > Mark Felder <feld at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I don't think it's likely you'll find this working. I'd suggest
> > > you find a printer that can natively speak postscript and works
> > > with SANE without a proprietary driver. It's getting hard to find
> > > printers that can do this, though.
> >
> > A pity.
> > I think it is hard to find an ink-jet printer that "speaks" natively
> > PS. Mots of them I saw have their proprietary BLOB driver managing
> > the communication if they are multi-function-systems - mostly Linux.
>
> While PostScript is probably the best choice, if the printer speaks
> PCL you can probably get it to work. When in doubt, check the
> openprinting database [http://www.openprinting.org/printers].

There are only a few ink jet printers that support PostScript and they
have been benchmarked not very positive (expensive, high cost-per-page
relation et cetera).

I also looked at openprinting.org for those printers I put into the
circle of choices.

> If you see a printer that is described as "host-based", avoid it like
> the plague! This means they ripped all the smarts (such as it is, and
> what there is of it) out of a printer and put it in the usually
> windows-only driver. :-(

yes, those "dead silicon" plastique printers are not very flexible and I
avoid them like the plaque. ;-)

> Roland

Oliver