KVM/QEMU and Freebsd 9.1 or later

magnus at goransson.org magnus at goransson.org
Tue Nov 5 12:32:45 UTC 2013

Hello!

I want to run FreeBSD 9.2 under KVM/QEMU, but this is not working due to
CPU problems. There seems to be a bug somewhere reading the forums tell
me the problem should be fixed on KVM/QEMU side. For some reason unknown
to me release 9.0 works with my current setup.

Host information:

- Dell server with Intel Xeon E5345 "Clovertown" CPU
- Ubuntu LTS 12.04.03
- Linux kernel 3.2.0.55.65
- KVM/QEMU released with 12.04 LTS (aka Precise).

Guest information

- FreeBSD 9.2

The problem is that booting freezes the virtual machine after 1 second
during the boot stage, do not get any boot menu at all.

In forums i read that the problem was related to the features (sse4 etc)
in the CPU type and model. I tried to change CPU from "core2duo" that
was detected by KVM to something different but no luck.

Please help me out, what is the problem..and how to solve it?

Is this problem related to FreeBSD or KVM/QEMU? Why is it working with
FreeBSD 9.0?

/Best Regards
Magnus