BSD sleep

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Wed May 29 07:33:57 UTC 2013

On 05/29/13 05:59, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Joshua Isom <jrisom at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> You think it's trivial until you read this:
>>
>> http://infiniteundo.com/post/**25326999628/falsehoods-**
>> programmers-believe-about-time<http://infiniteundo.com/post/25326999628/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-time>
>>

> Some days have 86400 seconds, some have 86401.  There is a provision for
> two leap seconds to be applied at once, but that hasn't ever happened.

A little pedantic nitpick: no there isn't, that was caused by an initial
misreading of the definition of leap seconds. There *can* be two leap
seconds in a year (which is what caused the confusion), but if that
happens one will be at the end of June and the other at the end of
December, they'll not happen together.

Theoretically it's possible to have a negative leap second, but as that
would require the Earth's core to collapse enough to spin it faster or a
hit from a massive impactor, I'd rather not be around to see it. :-}

--
In the dungeons of Mordor, Sauron bred Orcs with LOLcats to create a
new race of servants. Called Uruk-Oh-Hai in the Black Speech, they

		_Lord of the Rings 2.0, the Web Edition_