"swap" partition leads to instability?

Fred Morcos fred.morcos at gmail.com
Tue May 28 18:47:21 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 8:42 PM, jb <jb.1234abcd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Follow up comment.
>
> It has been pointed out to me that there is Varnish software taking
> advantage
> of system VMM and swap space.
>
> Well, there are cache-oblivious algorithms that perform as well, and so
> they
> make the above (disk access model; cache-aware model) unnecessary
> (obsolete ?) and are superior in their generality.

Note that such cache-oblivious algorithms cannot be trivially applied to
any problem. Also, properly written cache-oblivious algorithms tend to
recursively decompose the problem until it is small enough to fit in a
cache and solve each part iteratively. The improvement effect can be
noticed on large inputs. These algorithms will most probably perform quite
badly on small inputs.