netgraph network setup for jail(8) vnet jails.

Joe fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com
Thu May 23 13:42:07 UTC 2013

Teske, Devin wrote:
> snip...............
>
> I rendered your output by saving it in a file ("joe.dot") and then running:
>
> dot -Tsvg -o joe.svg < joe.dot
>
> I then uploaded "joe.svg" to my website:
>
> http://druidbsd.sf.net/download/joe.svg
>
> Compare your output to any of the following:
>
> http://druidbsd.sf.net/download/warden0.jbsd.svg
> http://druidbsd.sourceforge.net/download/folsom.svg
>
> It looks like everything is connected properly.
>
> A couple thoughts off the top of my head:
>
> a. Did you enable promiscuous mode on rl0 via ngctl? (in your script perhaps?)
>
> b. Have you tried giving ngeth0 a new MAC address? (I do this through ngctl too, but I imagine ifconfig from within the jail could achieve the same thing)
> --
> Devin

Yes I enabled promiscuous mode and setautosrc 0 on rl0 via ngctl.
I can find no documentation on why this is done. Can you point me to some?

Yes I gave the jail a unique MAC address.

I tried to generate my own network map, but having problem.

ngctl dot > file.dot works.
dot -Tsvg -o file.svg < file.dot
gives me "command dot not found".
Tried ngctl dot -Tsvg -o file.svg < file.dot
and -T is illegal option.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help
Joe