file corruption solution (soft-update or ZFS)

saeedeh motlagh saeedeh.motlagh at gmail.com
Thu May 23 09:21:42 UTC 2013

hello every body

i have a question about fixing file corruption in freebsd.

now i have freebsd8.2 and some times file corruption happened on it. this
issue has a heavy cost for me and i want to avoid it or fixit it
completely. so my question is:

is it better to upgrade my freebsd to 9.1 and use soft update or migrate
from UFS to ZFS?

i heard so much about soft update -that is added in freebsd9.1-  which can
fix file corruption in acceptable way with low cost but i don't know how
much is reliable and efficient.

in the other hand, i think migration from UFS to ZFS can be another
solution. as i read ZFS is is created to solve all the problems related
integrity file system. is it reliable enough in comparison soft-update?

now, i want to know which solution is better and why?
thanks in advance
s.motlagh