RES column in top(1) output

Dmitry Sivachenko trtrmitya at gmail.com
Tue May 21 18:04:06 UTC 2013

Hello,

Can you please explain me the meaning of RES column in top(1) output:
as far as I understand from man-page, it is resident portion of the process, that is the amount of memory process takes from RAM.  But I get:

Mem: 55G Active, 23G Inact, 11G Wired, 3729M Cache, 9838M Buf, 97M Free
Swap: 49G Total, 14M Used, 49G Free

  PID USERNAME      THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
93273 username        103  52    0   141G   115G uwait  22  25:37 19.82% XXX

So I have a machine with 96GB of RAM, no swap is used and my process's resident size is 115G (more than physical memory).

It is clear I am missing something.

Thanks in advance.