does ifconfig see netgraph bridges?

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Sun May 19 20:41:33 UTC 2013

On May 19, 2013, at 11:32 AM, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 05/19/2013 04:57 PM, Joe wrote:
>> I create a ng bridge but issuing ifconfig does not show the bridge.
>> Running 9.1-RELEASE.
>> Is this a bug?
>
> ifconfig is not supposed to know about a netgraph bridge. So this is
> by design. Also, since the bridge is supposed to be transparent to the
> network i wouldn't know what kind of information would be relevant to ifconfig, that is the netgraph bridge has no MAC, no IP etc. What info
> are you after?

To see the upper/lower links to a bridge, you want to execute (as root):

ngctl ls -l

The output is a bit cluttered, as there's no empty newline between the headers as it enumerates the different types.

Just as traditional "ls" you can give it a path, however the path is not delimited by "/" but by ":" to separate the peers, etc.

Start small by trying to ls your bridge (and then ls -l your bridge). If memory serves (on the go, so don't have a terminal to try this out before giving the tip):

	ngctl ls -l bridge0:

Should perhaps show the connected links.

When in doubt… go interactive…

	ngctl

And try different combinations of "ls" and "ls -l" on the prompt.
--
Devin