pkg version -L howto?

Leslie Jensen leslie at eskk.nu
Sat May 18 10:48:28 UTC 2013

I ran into a little problem with my "old" crontab scripts.

I do the following:

portsnap -I cron update

/usr/local/sbin/portmaster -y --clean-distfiles

/usr/local/sbin/portmaster -aF

pkg version -vIL

After changing to pkg the check for outdated ports fails on the -L flag

pkg version -vIL
pkg: option requires an argument -- L
usage: pkg version [-IPR] [-hoqv] [-l limchar] [-L limchar] [[-X] -s string]
                    [-r reponame] [-O origin] [index]
        pkg version -t <version1> <version2>
        pkg version -T <pkgname> <pattern>

According to "pkg help version" the -l -L should be followed by limchar.

Unfortunately it is not clear what limchar can be. Looking at the
examples in help I drew the conclusion that limchar can be one of the
following:
= < > ? !

And in my case I would need the -L < to show which packages need to be
updated. But that is not the case.

root at blj01~:pkg version -vIL=

root at blj01~:pkg version -vIL<
Missing name for redirect.

root at blj01~:pkg version -vIL>
Missing name for redirect.

root at blj01~:pkg version -vIL?
pkg: No match.

root at blj01~:pkg version -vIL!
Lists all installed packages

I would very much like a suggestion on how to get this right.

Thank you

/Leslie