Compiling a lean kernel of 9.1 p3

Tommy Pham tommyhp2 at gmail.com
Wed May 15 17:43:29 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I installed 9.1 from DVD with src only and did 'freebsd-update fetch
install'.  Then I proceed to compile the lean kernel.  I'm unable to
compile a lean (no SCSI, RAID, sound, USB, Firewire, NICs) kernel of 9.1 p3
and without lib32 support.  I only needed SATA disk and em NIC support.
 The kernel compiled without errors.  However, on boot, it freezes after
the menu screen.  My make.conf only have added (from default
/usr/share/examples/etc):

KERNCONF=custom
CPUTYPE=?opteron

I have no problem booting from GENERIC built kernel and buildworld with
that make.conf.   Could someone please tell me how can I troubleshoot this?

TIA,
Tommy