Hot Swapping SATA drive?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Tue May 14 23:27:26 UTC 2013

In message <20882.9169.697806.928200 at jerusalem.litteratus.org>,
Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:

>Ronald F. Guilmette writes:
>
>>  I bought one of these things awhile ago:
>>
>>  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LXJXSW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=U
>TF8&psc=1
>
>	I believe I have a similar object, only a) external (eSATA), b)
>from a different manufacturer, and c) connected to a -CURRENT
>system.  I use it as a backup device.

Yea, mine is internal, and real SATA.  I wonder if that will make a
difference.

>>  1) Given a system running FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE, is anything bad
>>  gonna happen if I insert a drive into this thing while the system
>>  is running?  Will I be able to mount partitions contained on the
>>  drive in question after I do so?
>
>	That works for me.  I need to re-scan the ata channel using
>"atacontrol" but once that happens it's fine.

Hummm... I tried "atacontrol info" and I got this:

atacontrol:
ATA_CAM option is enabled in kernel.
Please use camcontrol instead.

So I guess I need to use  camcontrol instead.  But what command?  What
were you using with atacontrol to "re-scan"?  Was that "atacontrol attach"?
I wonder what the camcontrol equivalent to that is.  Nothing obvious is
jumping out at me from the man page.

>	I am unable to check the BIOS settings on that MB (which may be
>ASrock as well), but I don't believe I had to do anything other hand
>make sure eSATA was enabled.

OK.  Thanks.

I'm determined to try this, and to make it work.  Now I just need to know
what camcontrol command I should be using.

Regards,
rfg