can't compile lang/gcc port

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Tue May 14 20:45:41 UTC 2013

> Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 21:07:59 +0200
> Subject: Re: can't compile lang/gcc port
> From: Xavier <xavierfreebsdquestions at gmail.com>
>
> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 07:14:17PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
>
> Hi Roland,
>
> > On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 03:59:26PM +0200, Xavier wrote:
> > > Hi to all,
> > >
> > > I can't compile lang/gcc port.
> > >
> > > The last lines of error:
> >
> > Unfortunately the real error happens _above_ the lines that you showed.
> >

> Hmmm, OK.
>
> > >         else \
> > >           exit 1; \ fi; \ else true; \ fi; \ fi; \ done; \ fi
> > >           gmake[5]: Leaving directory
> > >           `/usr/ports/lang/gcc/work/build/i386-portbld-freebsd
> > > 9.1/libstdc++-v3'
> > > gmake[4]: Leaving directory
> > > `/usr/ports/lang/gcc/work/build/i386-portbld-freebsd
> > [snip]
> > > Stop in /usr/ports/lang/gcc.
> > > *** [build] Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/ports/lang/gcc.
> >
> > > Somebody can help me ?
> >
> > There is probably a compiler error somewhere before the lines that you
> > posted. Can you show a little bit more?
> >

> I don't show more lines because the log is very long for paste here.

Look for lines with the words:
     warning:
     Warning:
     error:
     Error:

Report at least the 3 lines before each such occurance and 10 or so lines
after it.

This command:
  grep -B 3 -A 10 -E -i '(warning|error):' < {{logfile}}
should do the selection automatically.

Asking _someone_else_ to rummage through a megabyte-plus of log because you
can't be bothered to look for the 'magic words' that actually identify the
problem _is_ an unreasonable imposition on their kindness.

Ifi, on the other hand,  you _don't_know_how_ to recognize an error message
in a build log, you should, bluntly, *not* be building software for your
system.  Either use pre-build binaries, or hire someone who -does- know what
they're doing to build/install custom software for you.