can't compile lang/gcc port

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue May 14 20:31:14 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 09:07:59PM +0200, Xavier wrote:

> > There is probably a compiler error somewhere before the lines that you posted.
> > Can you show a little bit more?
> >

> I don't show more lines because the log is very long for paste here.
>
> I can send directly to your private email the 1.6 MB of log file ? For
> your review.

Don't send me the whole log file! Using e.g. grep(1) or the old-fasfioned
eyeball look for the _first_ line in the log file that contains the word
"error". Post that line and some lines before and after it here on the mailing
list. At a minimum, these lines should show;

 - what was the command that failed (compiler, linker, ...)
 - what was the _exact_ error message?
 - which file was it processing when the error occurred?

For an example look below:

    clang -O2 -pipe  -pipe -fmerge-constants --fast-math -DDEBUG -pipe -fmerge-constants --fast-math -DVERSION=\"3.0.0beta2\" -DPACKAGE=\"stl2pov\" -c ftobuf.c
    clang: error: unsupported option '--fast-math'
    *** [ftobuf.o] Error code 1

    Stop in /home/rsmith/src/progs/attic/stl2pov3.

The line containing the word "error" tells you what went wrong. In this case
the clang compiler got an option it doesn't recognize. The line _before_ shows
the actual command that was run. The line _after_, starting with '***' is a
notification from the 'make' program that building the file ftobuf.o failed.
But this line is _useless_ without the lines before it.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/