with ACPI=on, 9.1-RELEASE shutdown automatically

Xavier xavierfreebsdquestions at gmail.com
Sun May 12 12:13:34 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 01:03:45PM +0200, Eduardo Morras wrote:

Hi Eduardo,

> On Fri, 10 May 2013 12:34:14 +0200
> Xavier <xavierfreebsdquestions at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi to all,
> >
> > About this email subject, on acer Aspire 5634WLMi machine and
> > 9.1-RELEASE OS, FreeBSD shutdown the machine automatically in few
> > minuts.
>
> In freebsd-es a similar problem was reported some months ago. The cause is fan switch off after startup menu and rising temperature. It looks like ec controller problem (Acer doesn't provide documentation about Embedded Controller, all is done by try and error and can damage the laptop)

Yes, is the same situation.

I don't solved the problem. For this reason I post here now. And, I
wait a long time for try new situations and not crossposting the
problem in other mailing list.

> > How can I debug the reason of the problem ?
>
> A not so good wokaround is down the temperature where cpu Hz is adjusted:
>
> #sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.user_override=1
> #sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV=65C
> #sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.user_override=0

First of all, I load the correct ACPI mapping driver for acer laptops
( this situation ):

acpi_wmi(4)

root at casa:/root # kldstat | grep acpi
 4    1 0xc13dd000 462c     acpi_wmi.ko
root at casa:/root #

Now I try yours values:

First, de defaults values:

root at casa:/root # sysctl -a | grep hw.acpi.thermal.user_override
hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 0
root at casa:/root # sysctl -a | grep hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: -1
root at casa:/root # sysctl -a | grep hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._PSV
hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._PSV: 95,0C
root at casa:/root # sysctl -a | grep hw.acpi.thermal.user_override
hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 0
root at casa:/root #

I change to your suggerations:

root at casa:/root # sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.user_override=1
hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 0 -> 1
root at casa:/root # sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV=65C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: -1 -> 65,0C
root at casa:/root # sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._PSV=65C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._PSV: 95,0C -> 65,0C
root at casa:/root # sysctl -a | grep hw.acpi.thermal.user_override
hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 1
root at casa:/root # sysctl -a | grep hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 65,0C
root at casa:/root # sysctl -a | grep hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._PSV
hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._PSV: 65,0C
root at casa:/root #

I look for the temperature at the moment:

root at casa:/root # sysctl -a | grep temperature
acpi_tz1: temperature 67.0C: decreasing clock speed from 500 MHz to 250 MHz
acpi_tz1: temperature 67.0C: decreasing clock speed from 250 MHz to 125 MHz
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 73,0C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.temperature: 72,0C
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 75,0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 75,0C
root at casa:/root #

I try compile one port ... :

... while compile I look the temperature:

root at casa:/root # sysctl -a | grep temperature
acpi_tz1: temperature 67.0C: decreasing clock speed from 500 MHz to 250 MHz
acpi_tz1: temperature 67.0C: decreasing clock speed from 250 MHz to 125 MHz
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 95,0C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.temperature: 94,0C
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 92,0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 92,0C
root at casa:/root #

I break the compilation because if hw.acpi.thermal.tz%d.temperature (
of ACPI_THERMAL(4) ) = 100C the FreeBSD shutdown automacally.

> Or downgrade to 8.x

On 8.x I get the same problem.

Thanks, see you.