X11 screen grabber from cmd line

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri May 10 07:39:47 UTC 2013

On Fri, 10 May 2013 09:29:07 +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Friday, May 10, 2013 a las 08:23:45AM +0100, Matthew Seaman escribió:
>
> > You're somewhat missing the point here, I'm afraid.  There are many
> > alternatives for grabbing screen shots from *within* an X session
> > itself.  What the OP wants is a way to grab a screenshot of an X session
> > from a different, non-graphical terminal.
> >

> Exactly! But, more: the launched tool (which has access via $DISPLAY to
> the X server) must grab the screen *without* any further interaction on
> the screen (i.e. selecting a region or a mouse click is not an option);
>
> thanks for all the pointers, I will test and see what fits;

Exactly that's what has been my suggestion (without having been
mentioned): both "xwd" and "import" support a -display option.
In case the root window (equals the whole screen) is captured,
no further interaction is required (at least in case of xwd).
This makes it easy to obtain screenshots non-interactively
(e. g. time-triggered) from "outside" the X session.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany