ls(1), rm(1) - No such file or directory even though they are there.

Michael Bird michael_bird at yahoo.com
Sat May 4 17:46:29 UTC 2013

Hi List,

There is a rather curious problem that I have, which I haven't encountered before.
I make regular backups of my packages and put them onto an external usb drive,
which is mounted read/write via sysutils/fusefs-ntfs.

Now these backups don't exist no more and at the same time they are there. That
is to say, upon issuing ls and/or rm on the command line I get rather strange results.
Here are some of my outputs:

mike at machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % ls
[a long list that has been cut out]
zip-3.0.tbz
mike at machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % ls zip-3.0.tbz
ls: zip-3.0.tbz: No such file or directory

Some have files that (don't) exist have i-nodes and some haven't:

mike at machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % ls -i zip-3.0.tbz
ls: zip-3.0.tbz: No such file or directory
mike at machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % ls -i linux-f10-tiff-3.8.2.tbz
2469 linux-f10-tiff-3.8.2.tbz

Running rm on the folder I get "No such file or directory" for every single entry:

mike at machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % rm *
[a long list that has been cut out]
rm: linux-f10-tiff-3.8.2.tbz: No such file or directory

Yet again some of the files can be test via gzip and some can't:

mike at machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % gzip -t linux-f10-tiff-3.8.2.tbz
mike at machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % echo $?
0
mike at machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % gzip -t zip-3.0.tbz
gzip: can't stat: zip-3.0.tbz: No such file or directory
mike at machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages %

Looks like the this part of the file system is corrupt. I also booted the drive up under
Windows and got the same result. The files are there, but can't be read, overwritten
or deleted.

What does the list say about the above mentioned?

Michael