pkg question

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri May 3 20:43:27 UTC 2013

On 03/05/2013 21:26, Walter Hurry wrote:
> Quoting from /usr/ports/UPDATING:
> 20130502:
>   AFFECTS: users of ports-mgmt/pkg, ports-mgmt/poudriere, ports-mgmt/
> tinderbox
>   AUTHOR: bdrewery at FreeBSD.org
>
> This only affects people who are _building_ binary packages for pkgng. If
> you are building from ports please ignore this. This step is optional.
>
> It is recommended to rebuild all packages and then have your users run
> 'pkg check -Ba' and 'pkg upgrade' on their servers once. This will allow
> the new shlib tracking to reinstall packages that have changed shlib
> requirements.

> Does 'rebuild all packages' mean we have to recompile from scratch, or
> merely do a 'pkg create' for each?

If you have packages installed, but without shlib info in the database,
then you can:

    pkg upgrade

or whatever, to get pkg-1.0.12 installed

    pkg check -Ba

-- scans everything you have installed and adds the SHLIB info to your
local database

    pkg create -a -o /usr/ports/packages/

-- create pkg tarballs (including shlib info) out of everything known in
your local database.

   pkg repo -f /usr/ports/packages

-- build a repo out of those package tarballs.

However, this only works for what you have installed on that one
machine, which is generally a sub-set of what you'ld like to have in a
pkg repo.  To build a more comprehensive set of packages as you'ld
normally find in a repo, it's cleanest to just tell poudriere or
tinderbox to build everything again from scratch.  Timeconsuming, but
you end up with a consistent repository fully populated with all the
SHLIBS info you could want.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--