sshd - time out idle connections

markham breitbach markham_breitbach at ssimicro.com
Fri May 3 15:03:05 UTC 2013

Depending on the shell you are using, you may be able to set that to auto-logout, or you
could set a cron job to run every 5 minutes and terminate tty's with > 5min idle time.

Honestly though, you will rarely find a good technical solution to a social
problem--there's always a work-around--and this is a social problem.  If there is a
company security policy stating that ssh sessions are not to be left idling > 5 min, then
make sure everyone is aware of this policy and start handing out pink slips to people that
violate it.

-M