OT: The future of USENET?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Mar 29 23:39:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>wrote:

>         There are several free public USENET text servers (no binary
> groups), granted it's nothing like the days when every ISP ran one but
> there are still several about (eternal-september.com is one of the
> biggest). There are also a few low cost paid servers (individual.netstands
> out here). There is also a thriving business in paid for USENET binary
> service.

Even back in the day I used to use public servers, because the ISP-run ones
generally had poor uptime and a poor selection of groups.

These days I tend not to read USENET groups because of the high amount of
spam traffic, and the fact that the remaining posters tend to be interested
mostly in continuing their own long-running flame wars while chasing off
newbies.  Maybe I just value my time more highly these days. ;)