Don't replay to spam

Lars Eighner lars at larseighner.com
Sat Mar 23 22:13:12 UTC 2013

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013, CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:

> On 03/23/2013 01:20 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> The original "trying freeBSD 9.1 [...]" mail is spam, since the original
>> message had a "signature" about face lifting or something like that.
>>
>> Take a look at
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2013-March/249992.html
>>
>> Once you visited the page from the link in the signature, you even can't
>> leave this page.
>>
>> It's hard to train spam filters, if people reply to spam.
>
> That spam sig appears to be NetZero appending advertisements to
> legitimate outgoing messages. I doubt the OP has much control over that
> behaviour; especially if that happens to be their ISP.

I agree, but what the OP can do is use a proper sig which begins in the
first column with a hyphen  followed by another hyphen, a space, and a
newline.

That will not prevent the service provider from appending the ad, but it
will make it possible for many (most? all?) mail readers to hide the sig
(and everything after it) if the user so desires.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html