No sound with Thinkpad X60

Peter Harrison four.harrisons at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 21 22:33:32 UTC 2013

Saturday, 16 March 2013 at  0:17:18 +0100, Michael Ross said:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 00:28:27 +0100, Peter Harrison
> <four.harrisons at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Friday, 15 March 2013 at 18:48:24 +0100, Michael Ross said:

> >> chip.

> >> at
> >> hdacc0
> >> on

> >> initially

> >> Possibly not helping a lot:
> >>
> >> I have a T510 thinkpad with Intel HDA audio, running Windows 7.
> >> I need to have the audio driver *and* the modem driver installed for any
> >> sound to work.
> >> So possibly the modem part has to be initialised or something.
> >> You have "no driver attached" on your modem, so maybe that's worth
> >> looking
> >> at.
> >>
> >> You could also try if sound works from a terminal without running Gnome
> >> at
> >> all,
> >> just to be sure it's not some Gnome configuration thing.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Michael
> >
> > Thanks Michael.
> >
> > Tried turning gnome off. Still no sound from the console. Is there a
> > FreeBSD kernel module for the modem?
> >

> Don't know.
> But stepping back, do you have snd_hda loaded?
> ( Silly me, should have been the first question. )
>
> Found this:
> http://www.bmichelsen.no/blog/2012/01/28/configuring-freebsd-for-x60s/
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael

Sorry for the late reply, been away from the keyboard for a while.

I'm not loading snd_hda separately, but it's definitely there:

root at thinkpad:/home/peter # kldload snd_hda
kldload: can't load snd_hda: File exists

I've seen that blog and a couple of other sites describing configure FreeBSD on the X60, and they all seem to infer that sound works without a problem.

So for the moment at least I'm stumped.

Thanks for trying to help.

Cheers,

Peter Harrison.