Current Way To Update Sources & Rebuild World/Kernel?

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Tue Mar 19 00:13:18 UTC 2013

On Mar 17, 2013 11:07 PM, "Drew Tomlinson" <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:

> I've been away for a while.  In the past, the proper way to update a
system was to grab current sources via cvsup and then rebuild world and
kernel.  But now I see cvsup is no longer supported.  The handbook talks
about freebsd-update.  I do not want binary upgrades but is this the tool
to replace cvsup to update sources?  How do I use it to replace the old way
that went something like this:

> cvsup sources
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> mergemaster
> make installworld
>
> (I'm not sure I have that in the exact proper order but it was something
like that).

> So is freebsd-update what I need?  Is there a page that describes the
steps to accomplish this?

> Thanks,
>
> Drew

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/stable.html