Handbook Jail Chapter rewrite available for critique

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Mon Mar 18 17:30:52 UTC 2013

Pretty heavy cross-posting here, could you perhaps reign this in to the freebsd-jail@ list, where it can be discussed in-context?  This will help keep the noise down.

On Mar 18, 2013, at 12:57 PM, Fbsd8 wrote:

> To all interested parties;
>
> I have completed the final draft of the total rewrite of FreeBSD's handbook Chapter 16 on Jails.
>
> Before submitting my work for submission to the documentation group for insertion in the handbook I am looking for critique of the work to find errors in concept, wrong use of words, or anything to make it better.
>
> All feedback welcomed.
>
> Use this URL to access it  http://www.jails.a1poweruser.com/
>

> Thank You.

Wow, overall that's really quite cool.

- Do you have a rough timeframe for when you want feedback?  (I would like to give this the time it deserves).

--
Feedback right off the bat, (please tell me if I'm off track here):

- After a short skim- I do not believe the qjail utilities referenced are appropriate for the FreeBSD handbook.  There are many 3rd party approaches to handling/managing jails, some of them with quite long histories and loyal user bases- it is impractical and not appropriate to try to cover any/all of them here.

- The "Jail Cell" vocabulary is a serious departure- and may create some confusion- I'll read thoroughly to get your context right.  In what I understand to be the majority of uses, it's confusing to think of the hardware host as the 'jail' and the jailed instance as the 'cell'.

- The references and history cite some works, but do not cite the original (and possibly most important) document on jailing, http://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/papers/jail/jail.ps.gz

- There are a number of common lexical errors right off the bat, (There instead of Their), etc…

--
I look foreword to reading this on my subway commute this week-

Best,
.ike