Identify USB device with devd

Alberto Mijares amijaresp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 21:31:30 UTC 2013

Hi list,

I have 3 USB GSM modems and I want to trigger some actions when they
are plugged to the system. Each modem must trigger a different action,
the problem is how to identify each modem because

1) none of the modems have a serial number
iSerialNumber = 0x0000  <no string>

2) two of three modems have same idProduct, so I can't rely on this

3) I don't know how to get the exact USB port where the modem is
plugged. I can get the bus with the variable

port         # Hub port number (USB) // man devd.conf

but this is not enough information.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,