FreeBSD 9 and Windows XP

Carl Johnson carlj at peak.org
Mon Mar 11 16:05:42 UTC 2013

Eduardo Morras <emorrasg at yahoo.es> writes:

> On Sat,  9 Mar 2013 12:07:41 -0800 (PST)
> <leeoliveshackelford at surewest.net> wrote:
>
>> Good afternoon, FreeBSD enthusiasts.  Can FreeBSD 9.1 be installed on
>> a computer on which Windows XP currently resides?  If so, how can
>> this installation be >done?  In particular, is there a way to install
>> 9.1 so that it can be booted from the traditional master boot record?
>> It is important that, when I am done, I can >still boot to Windows
>> XP, as I must run some applications not available on FreeBSD.  If the
>> idea I am proposing is not feasible with version 9.1, will it work
>> with >8.3?  Any comments are appreciated.  If this question has
>> already been asked many times before, please just let me know where
>> to look to find the answer.  Thanks.  >Newbie502
>

> As an addon to other answers, you can install VirtualBox, create a
> minimal hard disk with MBR boot menu that points to the WindowsXP
> partition. This way you don't need to restart in WinXP. The same can
> be done from WinXP side, a minimal hd with MBR boot menu to startup
> the FreeBSD.

It is my understanding that FreeBSD doesn't allow using part of a disk,
but grabs the entire disk.  That means that VirtualBox can't use
partitions on a disk that any other partitions are being used by
anything else, including FreeBSD itself.  Am I wrong about this?  I use
VirtualBox using vdmk for an entire disk, but I have never been able to
share with anything else.
Carl Johnson		carlj at peak.org