FreeBSD 9 and Windows XP

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Mar 9 20:49:35 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-03-09 at 21:27 +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> "Partition Magic"

I would avoid to use proprietary software, ntfs, fat16 and fat32 are
full supported by Linux gparted, available for free as in beer at
http://partedmagic.com as a live media. Perhaps you need to defragment
the Windows partitions first.

You need to add a primary partition for FreeBSD, an extended partition
with logical partitions can't be used to install FreeBSD. I've got
FreeBSD and tons of Linux installed, no Windows. However, my partition
table is MBR based, as yours.

Gparted can't create the FreeBSD slice, you need to do this with e.g.
the FreeBSD installer. I had to use 8.3 and than to update to 9.1, I
tested 9.0 first, but I couldn't create the slice, resp. the partitions
in that slice.

Hth,
Ralf

--